Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Let Your Writing Be Another Person

Raise your hand if this is what your relationship with your writing looks like:

You beg, beg, beg your writing to get published.

You tell your writing, "You're great!" one second and the next, "You're getting burned this afternoon!"

"I don't know why I bother with you, there's so many other things I could be doing!"

"I'm naturally talented. Why aren't you turning out the way I had it in my head??"

"I don't have time for you today, but let's pretend I did."


Seriously. Think about it. If you were treated like that, would you stay in that relationship? Why should your writing? And if it does stick around, how is it supposed to flourish under those conditions?


Treat it like any relationship you would have with a person.

Give it the time and the patience to grow and develop into your initial vision.

Be patient.

Be kind.

Be gentle.

But mostly, just be there. Show up and be supportive.

That's all you need and that's all your writing needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!